Quality roofing estimate is done when you make a proper breakdown of each and every cost. This especially includes the understanding of material and labor costs.
Here on this platform, we have discussed what the average roof installation cost is, which factors influence its cost and what additional considerations have to be kept in mind.
1. Estimated roof cost per square foot
A larger roof means more cost and a smaller roof means less cost. It is generally seen that roof installation job that comes with basic asphalt shingles cost around and about $4 to $6 per square foot.
Remember that exact price of roofing depends on the labor and material cost and where you are located. Professional estimating companies out there can help to get a realistic material and cost estimate for the construction project.
2. Estimating Roofing Material Costs
It is not possible to come up with accurate roofing cost until and unless you have calculated the materials costs.
Different kinds of shingles are used in roofing. The material that you are going to pick directly impact the total cost of roofing! It is the significant cost that you must always include in your estimates.
3. Different roofing materials and their estimated cost
Asphalt or composite shingles are inexpensive, lightweight, as well as easy to install. Furthermore, if you have chosen the most basic three-tab shingles, their price is low. It is somewhat around $4.30 to $4.80 per square foot. And the 30-year or 50-year premium-designed architectural shingles have a high price tag. The estimated price range is $4.60 to $8.30.
Rest, tiles have become a popular pick too! This respective roofing material is made of ceramic, clay, or wood, synthetic wood. Steel and aluminum tiles remains least expensive and clay tiles somewhat comes out to be most expensive. For those who like to go for Slate roofing and concrete tiles, note that they have been priced mid-range.
Wood shakes have a rougher appearance and seems to be costly than shingles. Experts have advised to choose the roofing material made of corrugated steel and steel shingles. These are the most budget-friendly options. And having a roof made of copper or zinc shingles, that project will come out to be too much costly. In other words, metal roofing cost up to $25 per square foot.
You might have spotted many homes having flat roofs. Though they are made of specialized materials which have a cheaper cost, this includes PVC, TPO or ethylene propylene diene terpolymer (EPDM) rubber. But labor needed to install such a roofing charge much. The estimated per square foot cost is $5 to $7.
4. Important points to keep in mind when estimating roofing materials
- To accurately estimate the cost of shingles, count beforehand how many bundles you need. The total number is based on the number of squares of your roof. Generally, it is assumed that 3 bundles are needed per 1 roofing square. It is always advised to add 15% as extra material because there is a chance that some shingles gets damaged.
- To estimate the cost of nails, know in advance how many nails per shingle needs. The standard three-tab shingles require 5 nails per shingle. Furthermore, you will need more nails if your house is located in a hurricane or tornado zone.
“Underestimated” Roofing Materials Cost
- Hip and Ridge Cap cost is often ignored. Remember that it is the most important variable that should not be overlooked if you have planned to install steep-slope residential roofing.
- The cost of Ice and Water Shielding is at times neglected.
5. Estimating Labor Cost
The average roofing labor cost ranges between $1.60 to $3.00 per square foot!
There are many factors that influence the labor cost and below you can see the details about them:
- How much damage is done on the roof- this factor can increase or decrease the labor cost. Extensive rotting underneath the shingles makes the overall job more challenging to perform, which is labors charge more.
- Environmental conditions determine how much the total labor cost will be. Labors working in harsh conditions charge more.
- If there is an additional task to remove old material from the roofing, this factor will increase the labor rate.
- If we talk about the typical breakdown of roofing installation cost, then it remains assumed to be 40% for materials and 60% goes to labor.
- Asphalt shingles seems the quickest to install.
- It is recommended not to forget including the equipment rental costs while preparing roofing estimates. The rented roofing equipment includes air compressors, pressure washers, dumpsters, utility trailers, generators and light towers.
For more details and through explanation on the roofing estimating guide plan, stay connected with us.